Alonso and Massa Receive Matching Ferrari-Red Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8s
Please do not confuse this with news. It is merely something that happened, about which we’ll make the following comments:
- Jeep says these custom Grand Cherokee SRT8s were identically prepared. If true, this could be the first time Alonso and Massa were given identical cars.
- Ferrari Rosso Corsa paint, a matte-black roof, and a red interior look pretty damn good on the SRT8. We’re not loving the red-trimmed seven-slot grille.
- While this is the first American product to get the Ferrari treatment, it is not the first such Fiat Group mash-up; the Fiat 500–based Abarth 695 Tributo Ferrari wore a similar schema di vernice.
- We’re told the Jeeps wear rear spoilers that have their undersides painted like the Italian flag. This is not a direct tribute to the country, but rather a tribute to the wing on the Ferrari F150th Italia Formula 1 cars, which is itself a nod to the sesquicentennial of Italy’s integration. So, a tribute to a tribute of the original.
- We predict that these loaners inevitably will be replaced by identical Ferrari-engined Maserati Kubangs, which, conveniently, will be built on this Jeep’s platform and produced in the same Detroit-area plant. Isn’t globalization fun?